|Version 36 (modified by davea, 23 months ago) (diff)|
The 7th BOINC Workshop
A workshop on BOINC and volunteer computing will be held 18-19 August 2011 in Hannover, Germany.
The objective of this workshop is to share information about BOINC and projects using it, through short presentations and informal discussions, in a relaxed, open and friendly atmosphere. The workshop aims to stimulate new developments and activities related to volunteer computing, and to guide the future development of BOINC.
The workshop is for researchers, scientists and developers with significant experience or interest in BOINC. Areas of interest include:
- GPU and multi-thread applications; CUDA and OpenCL
- Virtual machines as application container
- Multi-user projects
- Remote job submission
- Integration with hubs, clouds, grids, and desktop grids
All participants will have the opportunity to present and discuss their work. Slides will be published on the web, but there will be no papers or proceedings.
The workshop will be co-located with a meeting of the International Desktop Grid Federation (IDGF), which will take place from 14:00 to 18:00 on 17 August. Workshop participants are encouraged to consider attending this as well.
The workshop will be held at the
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
in Hannover, Germany.
Directions are here.
Warning: The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics has TWO locations, one in Hannover and one in Golm (near Berlin). Do NOT travel to the Golm (near Berlin) location for this meeting, or you'll find yourself a 200km away from where you should be, in Hannover!
The workshop is free but attendance is limited. If you are interested in attending, or have any questions, please contact David Anderson, indicating your areas of interest.
All participants are encouraged to give a short (~15 min) talk describing their activities and plans related to volunteer computing. (These talks do not have to be polished or present results). Please send your talk title to David Anderson.
- 9:00 - 13:00 talks
- 14:00 - 18:00 talks
- 19:30 workshop dinner (venue TBA)
- 9:00 - 15:00 Hackfest?
- 15:30 - 17:00 Presentations of hackfest results
- 17:00 - 18:00 Discussion
- Bruce Allen, Max Planck Institute
- David Anderson, UC Berkeley
- Uwe Beckert, Rechenkraft.net e.V.
- Christian Beer, Rechenkraft.net e.V.
- Oliver Bock, Max Planck Institute
- Andy Bowery, Oxford
- Francisco Brasiliero, UFCG
- Carl Christensen, Stanford
- David Coss, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Fernando Costa, Univ. of Coimbra
- Travis Desell, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein, Einstein@home volunteer developer
- Zoltan Farkas, SZTAKI
- Dario Ferrer, U. of Zaragoza
- Pablo Fonseca, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
- Peter Hanappe, Sony Research
- Thomas Hilbig, University of Applied Sciences Bielefeld
- Evgeny Ivashko, Russian Academy of Sciences
- Peter Kacsuk, SZTAKI
- Ian Kelley, U. of Cardiff
- Benjamin Knispel, Max Planck Institute
- One year of finding new radio pulsars with Einstein@Home
- Arnaud Legrand, INRIA
- Robert Lovas, SZTAKI
- Bernd Machenschalk, Max Planck Institute
- Neil Massey Oxford
- Natalia Nikitina, Russian Academy of Sciences
- Steffen Moeller
- Kevin Reed, IBM
- Christian Benjamin Ries, University of Applied Sciences, Bielefeld
- Visu@lGrid : A Model Driven Engineering Approach for BOINC
- Alejandro Rivero, Ibercivis
- Francisco Sanz, Ibercivis
- Ben Segal, CERN
- Jaspal Subhlok, University of Houston
- Michael Tarantino, Univ. of Basel
- Rom Walton, UC Berkeley
- Simon Wilson, UK Met Office
Before and after
Traditionally there is a hike the day after the workshop (i.e., Sat 20 Aug). There may or may not be any trails near Hannover, but we'll do our best.
David Anderson will be in Hannover from Tues 16 Aug to at least Tues 23 Aug, and will be available for additional discussion and/or hacking. Send him email to reserve time.
The IDGF meeting
The tentative program for the IDGF meeting is:
Session 1: IDGF and Desktop Grid Systems 14:00-14:25 P. Kacsuk: Introduction to International Desktop Grid Federation (IDGF) 14:25-14:50 R. Lovas: The IDGF Road Map 14:50-15:10 D. Anderson: A Road Map for Volunteer Computing in the U.S. 15:10-15:45 F. Brasileiro: OurGrid and IDGF 15:45- 16:15 Coffee Break Session 2: Success Stories 16:15 . 16:30 German DG presentation 16:30 . 16:45 Russian DG presentation 16:45 . 17:00 Univ. of Westminster Local DG and its role in IDGF 17:00 . 17:15 IberCivis and IDGF 17:15- 18:00 Panel session Joint Dinner (self-paid)
(251.9 KB) -
added by brevilo 21 months ago.
How to find the Dinner place "Bolero"
- Ben_Segal_BOINC_Wkshop_2011.pdf (496.0 KB) - added by brevilo 21 months ago.
- David_Coss_boinc_workshop_2011.pdf (498.3 KB) - added by brevilo 21 months ago.
- BOINC_WS11_Knispel.pdf (2.3 MB) - added by brevilo 21 months ago.
- BW2011.WorldCommunityGrid.KevinReed.v1.pdf (607.2 KB) - added by knreed 21 months ago.
- GridBee.pdf (9.5 MB) - added by henko 21 months ago.
- Talk_BOINC-Workshop_2011_SlidesShort.pdf (269.7 KB) - added by torbjoernk 21 months ago.
(3.8 MB) -
added by wcminor 21 months ago.
Ibercivis presentation about load balancing
(3.8 MB) -
added by rlovas 21 months ago.
Robert Lovas - The first year of DEGISCO: hybrid infrastructure and new applications based on BOINC
- anderson.pdf (1.5 MB) - added by davea 21 months ago.
- Legion_Boinc_Workshop11.pdf (1.6 MB) - added by pfonseca 21 months ago.
BOINC Workshop Presentation.pdf
(16.8 MB) -
added by Gekko 21 months ago.
Presentation about Renderfarm.fi by Jesse Kaukonen. Original version at sliderocket at http://portal.sliderocket.com/AQXED/BOINC-Workshop-Presentation
- WebInterfaceDesktopGrid.pdf (227.5 KB) - added by nnik01 21 months ago.
- Volpex-ParallelExecutionInAVolunteerEnvironment.pdf (718.3 KB) - added by davea 21 months ago.
- Attic-Data-Network-For-BOINC.pdf (2.0 MB) - added by davea 21 months ago.
(4.2 MB) -
added by rlovas 21 months ago.
Peter Kacsuk: Enable the use of BOINC for new communities - the IDGF experience