Launching your project
Before launching your project (i.e. making it available for public participation) make sure you have completed the following steps:
- Test your application(s) on as wide a range of platforms as possible. Just because it runs on your Windows box doesn't mean it will run on all Windows; same for Linux. Do beta testing if possible.
- Set up your code signing system.
- Set up your web configuration file.
- Start following strict security practices: use an offline code signing machine, and generate a new code-signing key.
- Set the fp_benchmarks_weight setting based on your application's characteristics.
- Create message boards as appropriate for your project.
To launch your project as a public project, do the following:
- Set <disable_account_creation> to zero.
- Enable all the periodic tasks in config.xml (db_dump, update_uotd, update_forum_activities, update_stats, update_profile_pages, team_import, notify).
- Announce your project on the boinc_projects email list.
To launch your project as an internal project, do the following:
- Set <disable_account_creation> to one.
- Enable some of the periodic tasks in config.xml (db_dump, update_uotd, update_forum_activities, update_profile_pages, notify).
- Do not enable the task team_import as this will notify the users registered in the BOINC wide team database.