A summary of workshop results is here.
The 8th BOINC Workshop
A workshop on BOINC and volunteer computing will be held 27–28 September 2012 in London, England.
The objective of this workshop is to share information about BOINC and projects using it, through short presentations and informal discussions, in a relaxed, open and friendly atmosphere. The workshop aims to stimulate new developments and activities related to volunteer computing, and to guide the future development of BOINC.
The workshop is for researchers, scientists and developers with significant experience or interest in BOINC. Areas of interest include:
- GPU and multi-thread applications; CUDA and OpenCL
- Virtual machines as application container
- Multi-user projects
- Remote job submission
- Integration with hubs, clouds, grids, and desktop grids
All participants will have the opportunity to present and discuss their work. Slides will be published on the web, but there will be no papers or proceedings.
University of Westminster
115 New Cavendish Street
London, W1W 6UW
Room CG.03 (Cavendish building, ground floor)
The workshop is free but attendance is limited. If you are interested in attending, or have any questions, please contact David Anderson, indicating your areas of interest.
You can find a range of hotel options on http://booking.com. Some attendees are staying at the St. Athans Hotel, 20-24 Tavistock Place, Bloomsbury.
The workshop will consist of two activities:
- Talks: All participants are encouraged to give a short (~20 min) talk describing their activities and plans related to volunteer computing. These talks do not have to be polished or present results. Please send your talk title to David Anderson.
- Hackfest: On the 2nd day of the workshop we'll divide into small groups, each of which will try to advance some aspect of BOINC. Please come with ideas.
Thursday 27 Sept
- 11:30 - 12:30: talks
- David Coss: Directed Acyclic Graph Scheduling with User Defined Validation and Assimilation
- Joachim Fritzsch: BOINC on Android
- Nils Høimyr: LHC@home - status and outlook
- Robert Lovas: The DEGISCO project
- 13:30 - 15:30: talks
- 15:45 - 17:45: talks
Friday 28 Sept
- 9:30 - 11:15: talks
- Melissa/Michael: Malariacontrol.net
- Christian Beer: RNA world
- Hugh Wormington: Intel Progress Thru Processors
- Andy Bowery: Weather at Home sub-project in climateprediction.net
- 11:30 - 12:30: hackfest
- 13:30 - 15:30: hackfest
- 15:45 - 18:00: hackfest presentations and wind-up
- Making app versions for Android
- Remote job submission: unification
- Scheduling: batches and user quotas
- Make project web sites translatable
- Prototype a BOINC GUI using HTML5
- Improving the BOINC server documentation
- Creating and deploying VM-based app versions
- How to automate the end-to-end testing of BOINC?
- Replacing the heartbeat mechanism, and other improvements to the client/app interface
- Drupal/BOINC tutorial
- Further simplifying the BOINC install process and GUI
- David Anderson, UC Berkeley
- Christian Beer, Rechenkraft.net (NPO)
- Oliver Bock, Max Planck Inst.
- Peter Borsody, U. of Westminster
- Andy Bowery, Oxford
- David Coss, St. Jude Hospital
- Travis Desell, Univ. of North Dakota
- Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein, Max Planck Inst.
- Gianni De Fabritiis, GPUGrid.net
- Dario Ferrer, U. of Westminster
- Joachim Fritzsch, TU Dresden
- Mohammadmersad Ghorbani (Brunel Univ.)
- Peter Hanappe, Sony Research
- Matt Harvey, GPUGrid.net
- Nils Høimyr, CERN
- Peter Kacsuk, SZTAKI / IDGF
- Tamas Kiss, U. of Westminster
- Arnaud Legrand, INRIA
- Robert Lovas, SZTAKI / IDGF
- Mark McAndrew, Charity Engine
- Bernd Machenschalk, Max Planck Inst.
- Jonathan Miller, Oxford
- Melissa Penny, Swiss Tropical Institute
- Francisco Sanz, BIFI
- Fermin Serrano, Ibercivis
- Attila Sasvari, U. of Westminster
- Michael Tarantino, Swiss Tropical Institute
- Simon Taylor, Brunel Univ.
- Sandro Wenzel, EPFL (Lausanne)
- Simon Wilson, Oxford
- Hugh Wormington, GridRepublic
- Wenjing WU, IHEP
Before and after
Afternoon: 18th workshop of the International Desktop Grid Forum (IDGF); same venue
All day: hike and/or rural pub crawl; details TBD
- coss_boinc_workshop_2012.pdf (250.3 KB) - added by yomshleeshee 5 years ago.
- WminDG_institutional_DG.pdf (899.4 KB) - added by dario 5 years ago.
(195.9 KB) -
added by davea 5 years ago.
slides from David Anderson's talk
(228.1 KB) -
added by Joachim 5 years ago.
BOINC on Android as shown on BOINC workshop 2012
(1.3 MB) -
added by hbeggenstein 5 years ago.
EinsteinAtHome? Presentation BOINC WS 2012
(517.5 KB) -
added by nils 5 years ago.
LHC@home status and outlook
- Progress Thru Processors.pdf (594.4 KB) - added by hughworm 5 years ago.
- WAH_CPDN_Presentation_2012.pdf (324.3 KB) - added by davea 5 years ago.
- Penny_Tarantino_BOINC_Workshop_2012.pdf (415.3 KB) - added by davea 5 years ago.
- sanz_garcia.pdf (826.7 KB) - added by davea 4 years ago.