Project selection in the Manager
Currently the Choose Project page in the Manager shows an alphabetic list of project names. Hovering over a project name brings up a balloon with the project description.
This UI is useful only for users who want to run a specific project, and who know its name. It's not useful, e.g., for users who want to volunteer for environment-related projects.
Other specific problems:
- Balloons don't wrap (on Win) and text is lost.
- Funky balloon behavior: they persist even when move mouse.
- Text is not translatable.
- Info about project area, subarea, and institution is not shown, even though it's available to the manager
- The Choose Project page has left and right panes.
- The left pane is a scrollable list of project names, grouped by area (Biomedicine, Environment, Astronomy/Physics, etc.), alphabetic within area. Each area is preceded by a header row.
- The right pane shows a description of a particular project, including
- description (scrollable if needed)
- link to project web site
- whether project can use your multicore CPU or GPU
- Hovering over a project name in left pane brings up its info in right pane
- Everything is translatable (even, potentially, project names).
- Moving the mouse from left to right pane would be tricky. Maybe it's better to click on project name rather than hover.