Administrative web interface
Each BOINC project has an administrative web interface that lets you
- Browse the database
- Screen user profiles
- Administer "special users" (e.g., forum moderators)
- Create and edit applications and app versions
- Send mass email to users (note: a more flexible way of doing this is described here).
- Send emails to users with malfunctioning hosts.
- See a distribution of how many FLOPs results are using.
- Cancel workunits
- View recent results, and analyze failures
- Browse stripcharts
- Browse log files
Because the admin interface lets you do things like see user email addresses, it's extremely important that it be secure. There are two levels of protection:
Protection by .htaccess
When a project is created, a file html/ops/.htaccess is created that disallows access to the admin web interface. You can use htpasswd to create a .htpasswd file containing credentials for yourself:
htpasswd -c .htpasswd username
Project-defined protection policy
The config file html/project/project.inc can specify a function auth_ops() that defines a project-specific policy for protecting the admin interface. Possible policies:
- Access only if logged in as user from a given list.
- Access only to users with ADMIN or DEV flag set in forum_preferences.privileges.
- Access only from specific IP addresses.
- Any other policy you can think of.
Some examples are given in the function auth_ops_example() in the default config file.